An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced editorial professional to further define and shape Allen & Unwin, the quality commercial publishing imprint of Atlantic Books. Known for publishing award winning, quality commercial fiction and non-fiction, Allen & Unwin seeks someone to develop the list, grow sales and achieve profits.
The successful applicant will head up and lead the list in all ways, overseeing the publishing of A&U titles from acquisition to finished copy.
Key duties include, but are not confined to:
- Achieving turnover and profit targets set in conjunction with the Publisher
- Driving acquisition strategy – finding high-quality commercial writers with strong sales potential at an affordable price
- Competing for strong commercial non-fiction in auctions. Organising pitch documents and managing potential author meetings
- Shaping the publishing programme, ensuring balance and profit
- Spotting upcoming trends and reacting to market changes
- Managing the publishing process from acquisition through to production, including key decisions on format and packaging, of titles in original and second outings
- Commissioning new titles without recourse to agents
- Ensuring titles are published on time and to an exemplary standard
- Maintaining and developing author and agent relationships
- Representing the list in all company meetings and being an ambassador for the company externally
- Structural editing
- Ensuring cover copy, AI sheets and catalogues copy is of the highest standard, and writing it when required
- Liaising with key colleagues: the Publisher, Sales Director, Marketing Director, Campaign Director, Art Director, Managing Editor
- Line management of one person
The successful applicant will report to the MD and Publisher
This will be a Board position.
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements above, your salary expectations and notice period to Will Atkinson using the email address WillAtkinson@atlantic-books.co.uk
The closing date for this role is Friday 8th November.